Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Dead Leaves"


Before I start to talk about the song that I chose, I want to let you know that it was really hard to choose an English song because I lost connection with this kind of music. Since last year and maybe before that, my music preferences are in the other side of the world.  To create this post I started to listen to a lot of American an English music, but I couldn’t find a song that makes me feel the same way that my favorite Korean song, so I decided to talk about that song.

The song I chose is called “Dead Leaves". This song has a special meaning for me. During summer holidays I was kind of depressed. I cried a lot for no reason. I argued with my parents almost every day and I thought “this is my end”, but when I listened this song… everything change, “this is just a phase, I need to get up and change my mind." And I did it. Maybe it's a bit silly, but the song worked really well.

About the artist: The rapper of this song is called Woo Jiho (우지호) or ZICO as he prefers to be called. He’s a South Korean producer, composer and rapper from the Hip Hop group Block B (블락비). He also has lived in Japan and Canada. His stage name “ZICO” was inspired in his Japanese friend who called him like that because they failed at pronounce “Jiho”.  He’s my favorite rapper but also, one of my role models.

About the song: The song is from an online album called “ZICO on the Block 1.5” The album has 6 songs, the most of them are inspired in the past and present of ZICO and how did he feel during his hard times. This song “Dead Leaves” is the 5th track and it talks about sickness and loneliness. My favorite part of the lyrics is “In order to be reborn, I’m dying right now” I took those words as my motto. This song has a different meanings for each person, it can talk about suicide, hard times or depression. And maybe other persons have another meaning for it too
Also the song doesn't have a music video but has a picture as an album cover. In the pic, ZICO is with his head shaved as an apologize to Korea and his fans due to a controversy where Block B was involved. I think it's part of the message of the song. 

Here’s the song with English subtitles.





No comments:

Post a Comment